Saoirse Ronan: 'The Host' Star!

Saoirse Ronan: 'The Host' Star!

Saoirse Ronan will be taking on aliens for her next role!

The 17-year-old actress, who was most recently seen in Hanna, will star in The Host, based off the bestselling novel by Twilight author Stephenie Meyer.

Here’s the synopsis (via Deadline): “Melanie Stryder (Ronan) is one of the last humans putting up a fight against an alien species called Souls. These parasites invade human bodies, fuse to each person’s consciousness and systematically erase their personalities.”

“Melanie is captured by the aliens and implanted by a Soul called Wanderer, something of a legend because of all of the ‘hosts’ she has attached to on numerous planets. Wanderer’s goal is to get Melanie to give up the remaining pockets of humans, but instead the alien finds Melanie to be unique in her unwillingness to surrender her consciousness.”

ARE YOU EXCITED to see Saoirse star in The Host?

Credit: Jason Kempin; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Saoirse Ronan

Anne @ 2:32 pm on 05/05/2011

She used to pick up so great roles! and now… this. Meyer is one of the worst writers of 21st century.

Elaine @ 3:15 pm on 05/05/2011

Wrong. The Host is amazing. Twilight… but you would like The Host.

Taylor @ 4:14 pm on 05/05/2011

The Host was SOOO much better than Twilight and I’ve been waiting to see if this book was going to go through and get into production! So excited, I love Saoirse!

vivi @ 4:42 pm on 05/05/2011

no, she doesn’t fit. she should play wanda…not melanie..I thought melanie was older

Saskia @ 6:05 pm on 05/05/2011

Maybe for Wanda but not Melanie. My choice for Melanie would have been Sophia Bush.
And even for Wanda she is not like I imagined her. Emilie de Ravin (Lost, Rember Me) is my Wanda (:

adureh @ 6:41 pm on 05/05/2011

@Anne: That doesn’t mean it’s going to be a bad movie…saoirse is an amazing actresss so I doubt this is going to suck!

@Saskia: You do know that Wanda and Melanie are basically the same person for most of the book, I’m pretty sure they’re going to pick a different actress for wanda when gets her own body

juliana @ 10:11 pm on 05/05/2011

hmmm, no. maybe for wanda, she doesnt have melanie’s sharp features, i always imagined melanie with sharp features that screams that this girl wants to survive.

Angie @ 2:56 pm on 05/06/2011

Man this girl’s on a roll there’s a bright oscar future with her I can tell.

Kat @ 9:11 am on 05/08/2011

She could maybe play Wanda when she gets her new body, but she’s nothing like how Melanie’s body is described

Wow @ 8:56 pm on 05/17/2011

People, not sure if you’ve read the actually Deadline article but it mentions that Ronan will be playing dual roles: Melanie & Wanda.

April @ 8:30 pm on 06/28/2011

I guess Saoirse will dye her hair brown when she’s playing Melanie, then go back to her natural blonde when she becomes Wanda. I can see her as Wanda but I always pictured Melanie as a tanned brunette.

Lisa @ 9:44 am on 07/12/2011

I pictured Melanie to look like Nina Debrov.

Dan @ 5:47 pm on 07/22/2011

@Anne: i agree twilight is not so good but trust me, the host is brilliant. The concept and the characters and just everything completely surpass twilight. But you’re right, Saoirse does pick great roles – the Lovely Bones is my favourite book, and now she’s in the Host, which is my second favourite book… I actually cannot wait for this…

Dan @ 5:54 pm on 07/22/2011

I don’t know people are on about when they’re saying ‘she should play wanda but not melanie’ – wanda has the appearance of a silver centipede/ribbon, so why would they cast someone else when she essentially IS melanie? I don’t know how they’re going to do the whole mind conversation thing when it will sound like melanie talking to herself but let’s see

HOstfan ~ @ 6:29 am on 07/29/2011

I’ve re-read The Host many, many times over & somehow i can’t quite imagine her as Melanie. I would never have chosen her.. I don’t think she is that good an actress to portray Melanie properly.

bUCKY @ 9:23 pm on 08/11/2011

There goes any hope of them casting Ian Sommerhalder as Jared

Im in total agreement with all of you who think she looks more like a wanda than a melenie. Those of you who are confused by this, you have clearly not read the book.

Sevellia @ 9:39 am on 10/13/2011

They have gotten a brilliant actress to play Mel/Wanda. She has talent to burn, and a screen presence most actresses would kill for.

Check out her films.. She’s spectacular!!