Miley Cyrus Speaks Out on Marriage Equality Tattoo

Miley Cyrus Speaks Out on Marriage Equality Tattoo

Miley Cyrus caused a spark of controversy with a tattoo that reads ‘All Love is Equal’ last year.

Now, the 19-year-old actress is addressing what happened and her view on marriage equality on Glamour.com.

She writes, “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do—you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach.

“When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, “All LOVE is equal,” a lot of people mocked me—they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?”

Miley added at the end, “This is America, the nation of dreams. We’re so proud of that. And yet certain people are excluded. It’s just not right.”

Read all of Miley‘s entry on Glamour.com.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Miley’s post?

Photos: via Glamour
Posted to: Miley Cyrus

Pages: [1] 2 »
Jacob @ 12:52 pm on 02/05/2012

Christianity is about love, but not about the love of sin. a “true Christian” as miley puts it would know the facts of the bible, not the “facts” that happen to be socially acceptable today

mia @ 1:11 pm on 02/05/2012

I understand what she’s saying, but being gay is NOT the same as being black. Racism is a completely different thing, your parents are black therefore you are black, people can discriminate on you immediately without even saying a word to you because of your skin colour, there are jobs that even now some people still won’t get simply because of their skim color and I don’t even want to get started on slavery. Anyone who says that discriminating against gays is the same as someone being forced to sit on the back of the bus because they are black is just uneducated and an idiot. I have nothing against gay people, but people really need to see that it is NOT the same thing.

jason @ 1:48 pm on 02/05/2012

I find very mature for her age and her taking on the world who are close minded like the person on top of me! people need to realized is none of your business if a person want to get marry to the same gender is their life is their debt with god not your that what people doAlso, for the person who says that banning gay marriage is not comparable to racism… Where have you been? I wish there was a statistic for how many men and women have been beaten, raped and murdered for their sexual orientation. And have you been living under a rock? Countless teenagers and adults committed suicide because they were being bullied/harassed/attacked because of something they cannot control. Obviously it is not half as bad compared to racism/slavery, but it IS comparablen’t understand.

Jason @ 2:00 pm on 02/05/2012

WHAT DO I THINK of Miley’s post?

I think Miley should shut up and go back to being an entertainer.

jason @ 2:04 pm on 02/05/2012

at least miley is not scare to bring serious issues to life! she is very mature for her age and she is no scare to be the voice of the weak, while the other selena and demi sound very immature and dumb when they speak miley sound so much mature and very educated than the other two!!!

f @ 2:10 pm on 02/05/2012

I love miley views because she want to spread love not hate so what if people are gay there still human beings they are allowed to be love. i like the way she love to spread love and standup for injustice. she very veery intelligent young lady!

Unknown @ 2:22 pm on 02/05/2012

Miley doesn’t even understand what it means to be a Christian. A TRUE Christian loves everyone but that doesn’t mean you accept there ways. Being gay or lesbian is wrong it goes against the natural order of life. Some things are objective, meaning everyone can have there own viewpoint or opinion and nothing is right or wrong. Well this is not one of those things. Being gay is wrong. End of story.

Caroline @ 3:01 pm on 02/05/2012

I think what she said is right, I mean I believe in marriage equality. But hey saying this Miley is not gonna make you be any better person , better actress or better musician. And is probably not gonna make people like you. Seriously I hate when people think talking about gays or things is going to make people is like them. Shut the **** up Miley and go back to your ***** cake.

Patworx @ 3:04 pm on 02/05/2012

I totally agree with Miley. She is completely right about this.

Jason @ 3:12 pm on 02/05/2012

The problem is that Miley isn’t a role model… she smokes, has multiple tattoos, dresses provocatively, and is a self-admitted marijuana smoker.

She sorta has to earn respect if she wants her opinion to be taken seriously. Otherwise, just shut up and make music.

royisdabomb @ 3:41 pm on 02/05/2012

@Jason:
i think you should shut up. if you’re gonna be a jerk about gay people then go to hell. they’re the same as everyone else! just cause they like the same gender doesnt make them any different. who cares who they love? its their life to live, not yours. how would you feel if someone told you, you couldnt marry the person you loved and wanted to spend your life with? thats what i thought. so shut up.

Zyonna @ 3:48 pm on 02/05/2012

answer this, i have nothing against gays but i was stumped on this one:
1. If gays are like anyone else then why is there a demand for equality if they are so “equal” anyway?
2.If there was nothing wrong with gays, then why is there AIDS which came amongst a gay man sleeping with multiple men?

crystal @ 4:13 pm on 02/05/2012

i think all people should be treated equal but don’t compare gays to blacks last time ichecked gays can sit anywhere on a bus and never were slaves

Ralitsa @ 4:16 pm on 02/05/2012

Miley has grown up to be a woman who we can all respect and learn from.

Equality @ 5:19 pm on 02/05/2012

There is nothing wrong with being gay. We were born to live as human beings and coexist with each others, yet we discriminate and treat those with different views, opinion, etc. Racism has to do with where you’re from, religion, color and so on. Being gay is just a sexual orientation, let them be who they want to be. Love is complex, and you have to understand that. We have to begin to show the good nature I believe we all can have. They’re people too you know and deserve the things you do. They work, eat, sleep, laugh, live just like you. Let it be.

c. @ 7:02 pm on 02/05/2012

@Zyonna: are you actually that stupid?
1. they want equality because they aren’t TREATED equally at the current time because of ignorant people such as yourself. as someone who’s friends with a lot of people in the gay community (one of which just came out to me on the weekend and i would have been none the wiser because he’s just like any other guy), they’re people just as much as you and i and it hurts to have their feelings trampled all over too.

2. AIDS isn’t just in gay men. look at africa. there’s a greater population of AIDS than there are in gay men. just because gays can contract AIDS just as much as you or i doesn’t make them ‘wrong’ either. anyone can get AIDS, not just people in the LGBTQ community.

i completely support miley and everything this tatoo means.

alison @ 7:07 pm on 02/05/2012

America is so redneck… every other country accepted gay marriage years ago. get on board America. you shouldn’t need miley cyrus to play little miss equal rights angel for you. everyone else figured it out a long time ago, they already know what’s right. they don’t need to be getting tattoos and running around explaing what’s moral and what’s not, it’s already a done deal. this is only still and issue in America…

Alex @ 7:34 pm on 02/05/2012

@Zyonna:
Wow if you think AIDS is only among gay men you must not have picked up a book since AIDS was first discovered. AIDS can be contracted from your mother (through pregnancy), needles, and unprotected sex among ANY couple. next time you want to find support for your intolerance make sure you have your facts straight.

Jason @ 8:37 pm on 02/05/2012

@royisdabomb: The very last sentence of this article says, “WHAT DO YOU THINK of Miley’s post?” So I said what I think. What’s funny is that you’re preaching to me about intolerance, yet you’re being the opposite. I have no opinion of gay people OR marriage… I do have an opinion of Miley Cyrus – an opinion which was most certainly asked for.

So suck on that.

that_girl @ 9:11 pm on 02/05/2012

@Zyonna:

Firstly- i think you need to get educated about AIDS because you clearly know nothing about it!! It is an STD- anyone can get it, not just gay men!
Secondly- The truth is the gays/lesbians/transexuals/transgender etc are still people but not everybody accepts them. Equality doesn’t exist yet for everyone!! There are still a lot of countries that believe homosexual people should be stoned/locked up/ punished. I find it incredible that the UK has beaten America to equality in the LGBT community! There are still many states in USA that have not legalised gay marraige and are probably nowhere near legalising it! The US relies too much on letting religion tell them what wrong and right instead of thinking logically and morally in the 21st century!! I though Jesus’s message was one of love- God judges us, just let her do her job. (fyi i think of God has a powerful black woman with a beautiful soul voice) :)

Shelly @ 9:15 pm on 02/05/2012

I am a Christian also, so I know what is right. I agree with Miley, but not completely. God sees love as a good thing, but not love between the same gender. As a ancient city, the people supported and performed gay love. God sees that city as “sinful, not right.”, because that kind of love cannot reproduce, as betrayed its original purpose. So he destroyed it. The Bible does not criticize gayness, but it certainly doesn’t SUPPORT it either. When God created Adam and Eve, it was so they shall become one flesh. Not to make men and men, women and women please each other. I think I’ve made my point.

Sarrah @ 9:16 pm on 02/05/2012

@Jason: Why don’t YOU suck it?!

Brittany @ 10:40 pm on 02/05/2012

I am a christian and I think people who want to be together, have a right too.
However, I think marriage was created by God between a man and women and therefore should be between them and God.

As far as rights, that is a part of government, not the church. We need to make it separate. Marriage is for church, unions are for government. To make it all fair and equal.

Andrea @ 11:01 pm on 02/05/2012

@alison:

Every country except the Sudan, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, and a few other countries who have the death penalty for same sex relationships (not just marriages but relationships). There are also many countries in Africa, the Near East, and some in Asia where there are other penalties such as life in prison for people in a same-sex relationship. America is currently on the list as having same-sex relationships be legal while marriage is the debated factor among different states as the different laws show.

Please check your facts before you make an absolute statement such as “this is only still and issue in America”. You lose credibility because there are NO absolutes in life and therefore your argument is negated from that detail alone.

Lunias @ 11:57 pm on 02/05/2012

@royisdabomb:
U Mad, bro? He said nothing about her views, merely that because of her previous acts she isn’t the ideal role model. Grow up.

Pages: [1] 2 »