Hermione Should've Been With Harry, Not Ron, JK Rowling Says

Hermione Should've Been With Harry, Not Ron, JK Rowling Says

Are you a Harry and Hermione shipper? Or are you a Ron and Hermione shipper?

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling recently Wonderland mag (where Emma Watson was a guest editor) that looking back, she should’ve put Harry and Herimone together instead of with Ron.

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” Ms. Rowling shared. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

She added, “I know, I’m sorry. I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”

And it looks like Emma agreed with her too: “I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.”

WHO DO YOU THINK HERMIONE SHOULD'VE ENDED UP WITH?
Loading ... Loading ...
Credit: via The Sunday Times
Posted to: Harry Potter

Pages: [1] 2 »
thea @ 9:22 am on 02/02/2014

Hermione should’ve been with Draco.

Tay @ 11:07 am on 02/02/2014

Yeah. I’ve always felt that she should’ve end up with Harry.

Tay @ 11:08 am on 02/02/2014

But I am okay with the ending. It doesn’t really matter now.

YES! vindication is ours at last.. lmao XD

I shipped Harry/Hermione first & foremost, but was also a trio-shipper as I OT3′d both H/Hrm/R & H/Draco/Hrm.. which would sometimes become an OT4! (G-rated only, of course.. I’m not into all the other stuff lol only ~emotional romance)

While it may not “matter” anymore, it’s still nice to think about.. & even though I don’t usually put much stock in most fandom creators aka “The Powers That Be” (& I’m sure HP-shippers in particular all remember the “delusional” controversy), I loved that JKR overall always seemed ~open to the idea of fanfic & that other fans expanded on the universe that she gave them, essentially fueling their own creativity & at the same time, allowing many other fans to enjoy various alternate-reality versions of both “canon” & other verse adventures with the characters that they’d fallen for.

Brilliant ;P

Carol @ 2:04 pm on 02/02/2014

FINALLY!
Where are all my friends that told me I was insane when the DH book came on now?… Oh, right…We’re all in college/married/long gone now, and apparently I’m the only who still holds a grudge against the ending of Harry Potter.
Well, I did tell them so!
Now that this is done with, and for once I was proven right – Might have to told my mother- I shall go back in peace to my noble pursuit of oppening ruminants and decorating its bones.
Anyone who knows any way to time travel do go back in time and kick six years old me on the shin.
She should’ve never quit karate and said “I’ll be a Vet!”. I hate that freakin brat…

Gissel @ 2:52 pm on 02/02/2014

Hermione should’ve ended up with Draco Malfoy! Or at least Harry. Ron just doesn’t make sense.

pigeon @ 3:13 pm on 02/02/2014

It’s not that she should have been with Harry, it’s that Ron wasn’t really a good match for her. She’s the ‘brightest witch of her age’.
She deserved someone who was her intellectual equal. Ron has lots of other good qualities, but really, could you see them happy long term? Hermione being the next ‘Mrs Weasley’ at home with the kids?
It felt like settling and a bad match.

kfnks @ 4:02 pm on 02/02/2014

nonononnonononononono never harry is ok with ginny.i lo ve ginny and harry

Dilleysb @ 4:21 pm on 02/02/2014

Ron and Hermione is a pairing of complimentary equals: they balance and bring out the best in each other, something Harry could not do. Plus, marrying Ginny made Harry part a wizard family that loved him, something he needed that Hermione couldn’t give him.

The author’s first instincts were the right ones for the story and the hero she created.

Saille @ 4:46 pm on 02/02/2014

@Dilleysb:
I am thinking we didn’t read the same book if you think that Ron is Hermione’s equal in a complimentary way. They aren’t a good match, or a match that made any kind of sense. Regardless of that fact I always just figured that even smart girls are stupid when it comes to who they love.
As for Harry marrying Ginny to become part of a Wizard family? Once again I am not sure we read the same book. They treated Harry like he was one of them from the beginning. I imagine they would have continued to do so even if their children had gone off and married other people. Family, true family isn’t about blood, or about pieces of paper that imply you know officially belong to a grouping of people.

Author’s second guess themselves all the time. It’s normal. You can’t say she was right, simply because you liked that outcome. If she had done it with Harry/Hermione first you would have thought that was right. She wrote the novels with that relationship in mind(Hermione/Ron), even though it didn’t make a lick of sense.

Still fantastic read…

Shalana Anthony @ 5:28 pm on 02/02/2014

I completely agree.ive always shipped harmoine because they had explosive chem!!!

ronmione forever @ 9:17 pm on 02/02/2014

Rowling even going into this now is LAME and proof even the writer herself gets it wrong w/time. Ron is the BEST character in the story and de-stresses Hermione, who can be a little hyperactive stress puppy. Also, the movies girl-powered her up AND dumbed Ron down, which is main reason books were better. Harrymione will ALWAYS be lame-they were always platonic from the beginning.

ronmione forever @ 9:20 pm on 02/02/2014

@Dilleysb:

Thank you. Too bad J.K.R. re-started the presumedly gratefully deceseased Harrymione shippers after they had been silenced.

roo @ 9:38 pm on 02/02/2014

I agree Harry and Hermione should’ve been together. Not that Ron and Hermione weren’t great together because they were in both the movies and book. But I always felt like Hermione was the only one that knew Harry and had history together. Ginny and Cho came out of nowhere and I didn’t believe their relationship. I knew after the 7th book when Ron left the endgame should’ve been Harry and Hermione. Hermione was the only believable girl for Harry.

Riz @ 11:58 pm on 02/02/2014

@facebook.com/Simbiani: Too bad for you and the other Harry/Hermione shippers that is not what she said. I have read this on other news outlets, and now People.com and it’s the same thing everywhere. Every outlet is twisting this small excerpt into “Rowling admits Hermione should have ended up with Harry,” when nowhere do I see her even mention Harry’s name. I have seen and read countless interviews over the years where she says wholeheartedly that Harry and Ginny belong together, were meant to be, that was always her plan. Rowling may regret having Hermione end up with Ron, that doesn’t mean Harry would have been the other option. I recall there were other males in the series. Hell, Hermione could have ended up with Neville, Viktor Krum or no one. She could have decided to spend her life focusing on her career, taking S.P.E.W. globally, instead of finding her romantic end game.

When Harry fancied someone- Ginny, Cho- JK Rowling made it clear. There was never any “evidence” of an attraction between Harry and Hermione, she was always a sister to him. Those two ending up together is what certain fans WANT not what is necessarily MEANT TO BE. There’s a difference.

I can’t wait until this article comes out so I can read it in its entirety, the full context.

Riz @ 12:05 am on 02/03/2014

@facebook.com/Simbiani: I have read this on other news outlets, and now People.com and it’s the same thing everywhere. Every outlet is twisting this small excerpt into “Rowling admits Hermione should have ended up with Harry,” when nowhere do I see her even mention Harry’s name. I have seen and read countless interviews over the years where she says wholeheartedly that Harry and Ginny belong together, were meant to be, that was always her plan. Rowling may regret having Hermione end up with Ron, that doesn’t mean Harry would have been the other option. I recall there were other males in the series. Hell, Hermione could have ended up with Neville, Viktor Krum or no one. She could have decided to spend her life focusing on her career, taking S.P.E.W. globally, instead of finding her romantic end game.

Ashley @ 12:24 am on 02/03/2014

Totally agree! Hermione and Harry made more sense than Ron and Hermione. Harry and Ginny was a forced relationship…which came out of nowhere. Ron and Hermione made more sense than Harry/Ginny. Anyway writers have second guesses all the time and J.K is going through that…noticing something we H/Hr shippers noticed while reading it :)

ElaineFClark @ 5:52 am on 02/03/2014

Follow guide we have for you and you can make 90 dollars every hour… Our agents earn around $12k a month… Join them… and start working from comfort of your home! All you need is a computer and a internet connection and you are ready to start. Learn how to make a steady income for yourself on following web adress… http://cpl.pw/OKeIJo

Thea @ 6:00 am on 02/03/2014

@thea:

Hey!! We have the same name!

Thea @ 6:01 am on 02/03/2014

I like her with Ron a lot better than with Harry.

Thea @ 6:07 am on 02/03/2014

@Riz:

I totally agree with you.

totallylily @ 10:05 am on 02/03/2014

@Carol: i know how you feel i totally agree….everyone has moved on from this ages ago but i couldnt let it go and im in uni now :( its a sad reality

Patricia @ 1:51 pm on 02/03/2014

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. AND ALSO YOU JK. ROWLING AND EMMA WATSON,
HERMIONE ARE LIKE SIBLINGS THATS THE WAY YOU ARE WRITING IT, ORE YOU THINK MAYBE THEY ARE INTO INSEST, YOU ARE ALL MAKING ME SICK!!!!!

Besides why shouldn’t Ron get the girl he has been living in Harry’s shadow, since he met him, I think he deserves him, besides opposit attracts eachother, she wouldnt have been happy with Harry, you can be cirtain of that, they would have been bored, I think she would go after Ron after a while, But him and Harry wouldnt even be friends anymore if Harry got hermione I can reasure you that,
But Rowling its yours caracters and if you think you have done something wrong by pairing Ron and Hermione I can say, it was what I was looking most forward to, and if it wouldnt happen then I wouldnt have liked your series I know many others fell like this and i feel you have actually broken my heart…

Eve @ 6:21 pm on 02/03/2014

I can’t imagine why people wanted Ron and Hermione together in the first place? Like seriously? You’d be attracted to a guy to who makes you cry and disagrees with you half the time?! I don’t even think they would have made it to being friends at if Harry wasn’t there?

Ron is not perfect and neither is Harry throughout the series if I’m being 100% honest. Hermione could’ve ended up with Neville for all I care! But I cannot realistically put her with someone like Ron – I’m sorry I bicker and argue with my siblings all the time so there goes your chemistry theory folks.
Ginny – Ginny who? The girl was a hardcore fangirl who learned to play it cool around Harry after gaining boy experience. She is the summary of an uninvited guest in half the conversations and plus she looks like his mum! Come on! No… Harry was stupid but not that shallow!

Ron can be a lovely character, yes. But he’s hardly Mr. Right for Hermione? She’s not a consolation prize either. All these people saying they are destined just because the hero always gets the girl – FORGET the sayings go and read the books because I’m sorry in terms of the perfect romance Harry and Hermione are it and not the petty jealous crushing interations you get with Ron.

People can’t tell me Harry and Hermione had no chemistry! What were you reading?! Riding Buckbeak, and the countless close enough to see her face in the dark and in ear whisperings under the invisibility cloak didn’t send shivers up your spine? (Think about their proximity people!)
Not to mention the amount of people who hinted at their potential relationship developments, yes even Voldemort with that locket!

They weren’t like siblings because they both were only children and the only examples of family they had/ have left (since Hermione literally erased her parents memories) are the Weasleys – and they don’t treat each other like them at all. Hermione sacrificed her heritage for Harry – she’s basically in the same boat as him, orphaned by this war and Ron the man who ‘loves’ her decides to up and leave? Listen, the only reason Harry and Hermione didn’t betray Ron was because they were loyal to him through and through, they were proving it and besides he left them in a very awkward position. They could barely be together in the same tent let alone touch like they used to? Oh the possibilities! Sexual tenision I think so.

Their relationship isn’t and would never get boring because first of all they respect one another, if they need to disagree it’s usually over matters of life and death and more importantly they know and are aware of one another – so please stop hiding behind these silly excuses like oh it’s so chiche and JK ruined my first ever platonic boy/girl friendship! The series is awesome anyways, don’t let it define you. Plus you Romione shippers got the official written ending – What’s the real problem?

Who would you marry based on these portrayals?

Lydia @ 8:28 am on 02/04/2014

Hermione was too good for both of them, neither boy should’ve ended up with her.

Pages: [1] 2 »