Lorde: ''Royals' Is Not My Best Song'

Lorde: ''Royals' Is Not My Best Song'

Lorde takes the newest cover of Australia’s The Music magazine.

The 17-year-old Grammy winner opened up to the glossy about her career, music and more. Check it:

On Grammy-winning “Royals”: “I definitely don’t think Royals is my best song. I understand why it worked and why it was kind of a hit, I can see those qualities in it, but at the same time there’s part of me that’s like…’these melodies are just not as good as something I could have written now’, or like ‘I definitely wouldn’t have written this lyric this way if I had’ve written it now.’ But I was 15 when I wrote it and I’m 17 now, so I think you grow a lot in that period. It definitely feels like a bit of a relic now.”

On the future of her career: “Before I put The Love Club EP out I was just planning on releasing EPs and messing around and putting stuff on the internet until I finished high school and then I would kind of look at it more seriously. But obviously things went kind of crazy and, what happened to the music once it left my hands was, like, just this insane thing. So I had to rethink and decide when I wanted to write the record; it was important to me that I followed up this big song with material that I felt was relevant to me right now and which felt kinda fresh and did come at the same time as that song, I guess. It wasn’t a plan that was thought out well in advance.”

Lorde-themusic lorde the music mag aus 01
Lorde-themusic lorde the music mag aus 02
Lorde-themusic lorde the music mag aus 03
Lorde-themusic lorde the music mag aus 04
Lorde-themusic lorde the music mag aus 05

Photos: Cybele Malinowski
Posted to: Lorde, Magazine

tryuthbox @ 1:08 pm on 02/04/2014

what career..um, she’s sooo unrelavent that when she keeps on tossing that word around to describe others. little does she know that she’s only broadcasting herself and future. there;s nothing special or worth paying attention to about her now or in the long run. she might as well soak up those 15min. maybe it might translate to 20. after that…off to the next person.

Justsaying @ 3:41 pm on 02/04/2014

@tryuthbox: um….her Grammys disagree with you

Taylor @ 4:20 pm on 02/04/2014

@tryuthbox: if you’re going to talk about someone’s career, use the right choice of words. ‘irrelevant’ is the right word. And maybe you’re just mad that you don’t have a legacy, Grammies,and attention at just seventeen.

JDRANETZ @ 5:01 pm on 02/04/2014

As a middle aged adult who is floored by this girls talent. She’s able to describe colorful deep visions and imagery with an economy of words, using context and the tone and pitch of her voice to give precision to those abstract words and concepts.

The entire industry now knows her talent. I would not doutb that this young “Lorde” gets a phone call from a certain “White Duke”. While Lorde is very original in her music, form follows function, and the more things change the more things remain the same. The misfit, troubled, artistic, and intellectual in Auckland, now is not all that different as the same youth culture in London in the late 1960′s. I’m just entirely floored by this young lady’s talent, I just have to say it again.

Jason @ 6:55 pm on 02/04/2014

I think people are confusing “talent” for “potential”. I’ve yet to see anything impressive about this girl. Grammys are not the way to measure success… Milli Vanilli got Grammys, after all. Besides, Lorde probably doesn’t think Grammys are relevant anyway.

sUCCESS @ 10:58 pm on 02/04/2014

@Jason: you don’t get grammys, millions of fans, headlining festivals and praise from music industry legends from mere “potential”. try again

GERRIHO @ 12:55 am on 02/05/2014

PURE GODDESS

jack @ 12:19 pm on 02/05/2014

The girl is creepy when she performs

sid @ 1:21 pm on 02/05/2014

It’s refreshing to hear criticism from a young artist of her own work, I liked both the Love Club and Pure Heroine and her lyrics are fresh and not generic like other artists of the past 5 or 6 years. She is yet to grow and obviously can see why she thinks her success was odd. This album is close to earning a platinum status and it’s really weird that her music is appreciated to this extent, considering the state of current crop of artists from pop music and pop music in general. She has a lot of work to do but she did well for herself for her first album, usually young artists are studio generated and an album like this where controls what her music is gonna be is rare. Lorde’s grammys just puts her album out there, but doesn’t mean it’s her best work.