Kristen Stewart Shares a Personal Poem - Read it Now!

Kristen Stewart Shares a Personal Poem - Read it Now!

Kristen Stewart shows off her arm tat and sports a shirt with some holes in it as she leaves a meeting on Thursday (February 13) in Hollywood.

The day before, the 23-year-old actress was spotted driving to her gym for a workout in West Hollywood.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Kristen Stewart

In case you missed it, check out Kristen on the cover of Marie Claire‘s March 2014 issue. For her interview, she read a love poem that she wrote.

Before reading the poem, Kristen told the mag, “I don’t want to sound so f-cking utterly pretentious…but after I write something, I go, ‘Holy f-ck, that’s crazy.’ It’s the same thing with acting: If I do a good scene, I’m always like, ‘Whoa, that’s really dope.’”

Click inside to read the full version of the poem!

10+ pictures inside of Kristen Stewart leaving her meeting…

My Heart Is A Wiffle Ball/Freedom Pole

I reared digital moonlight
You read its clock, scrawled neon across that black
Kismetly … ubiquitously crest fallen
Thrown down to strafe your foothills
…I’ll suck the bones pretty.
Your nature perforated the abrasive organ pumps
Spray painted everything known to man,
Stream rushed through and all out into
Something Whilst the crackling stare down sun snuck
Through our windows boarded up
He hit your flint face and it sparked.

And I bellowed and you parked
We reached Marfa.
One honest day up on this freedom pole
Devils not done digging
He’s speaking in tongues all along the pan handle
And this pining erosion is getting dust in
My eyes
And I’m drunk on your morsels
And so I look down the line
Your every twitch hand drum salute
Salutes mine…

Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 01
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 02
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 03
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 04
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 05
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 06
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 07
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 08
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 09
Kstew-poem kristen stewart shares a personal poem read it now 10

dwaun @ 3:56 pm on 02/13/2014

I feel like Im trying to read something assbackwards. Shes trying yet she wants to be different so hard. Someone, anyone should understand it. This is words matched poorly.

This is a good understanding of her acting abilities.

Happy Tucker @ 5:49 pm on 02/13/2014

What a overly written effort – and she’s so proud of it.

Erica Cohen @ 7:28 pm on 02/13/2014

Dear Kristen Stewart,

I’m a poet and professor at UCLA, and thought you might be interested in what some of my poet friends (most of whom also teach and are otherwise very accomplished) and I have been writing on Facebook about your recent poem published in Marie Claire. This is partly to address the apparently universal opinion by journalists – most of whom seem to not know anything about literature – that this is a terrible poem.

My own initial post went like this: “The second stanza isn’t horrible. Worst part of the poem are those awful adjectives! Stupid Beats.” What I meant by this was that the words “digital” (applied to moonlight), “scrawled” when linked to “neon” (neon is a much overused word by poets who want to sound like Beatniks) and “abrasive” (applied to organ pumps) weren’t working for me. I also didn’t like the word “ubiquitously” especially since everything up until that point was in the singular – ubiquitously seems to suggest some sort common element among many parts. Not a big fan of “Whilst” either.

But I thought the second stanza was very delicate with sound play – “parked” and “Marfa” are good off-rhymes (I heard the word “barf” in there somehow) and there is some nice alliteration in “Devils not done digging / He’s speaking in tongues all along the pan handle / and this pining erosion…” etc. And I like the broken syntax and quick movements in perspective – there’s little to no punctuation and most people can’t pull that off. And the line “He’s speaking in tongues all along the pan handle” is very evocative to me – and seems to explain some of the eccentricities of syntax and vocabulary in the first verse!

Anyway, so some of the other comments that came in here quite interesting. I’m not going to give the poets’ names since I haven’t asked their permission for this (I’m writing this quite quickly), but a female poet in New York wrote: “I don’t think it’s bad at all. It’s better than 90 percent of the poems in the first batch of my intro to creative writing class. I just read three different poems about a football game. Three different young men.”

Another poet here in Los Angeles – he studied linguistics and works at Google – wrote “For someone who never went to high school, I think ‘Your nature perforated the abrasive organ pumps’ shows a pretty promising imagination.” I think what he means is that there is genuinely Surrealist element in the first stanza – “abrasive organ pumps” could have been written by Antonin Artaud – and has some real shock value. This same poet wrote (in response to some negative commentary on the FB feed):

Not sure why folks are hating on this poem. It’s young, but the more I read it, the more I like it. For someone just starting out, it isn’t overly freighted with expectations of what a poem should do or be. If it’s ‘beat’, it’s more Bolinas or young Bernadette than hortatory elder beat. That first line is weird and inspired. And moonlight strafing the foothills, nicely observational.

[“Bernadette” is Bernadette Mayer, a prominent New York poet associated with the Lower East Side.]

Another poet wrote: “I like the title!” That’s pretty cool since I’m not sure if I can get behind the title (unless I read it as extremely pop/campy in that Jeff Koons way). He actually wrote earlier on his own FB feed that he liked the title (that’s where I learned about your poem).

The defenses continued to roll in, even for the unusual adverbs. One poet, a teacher at a prominent college and co-editor of a major publisher of poetry, wrote: “Hm. I actually like the weirdness and energy and if you’re going to have an adverb at all why not go with ‘kismetly.’ I say go for it Ms. Stewart.”

This same poet later wrote – in response to a post that compared you to James Franco (Franco’s writing took a lot of digs on our feed, with no defenders): “No, honey, this is yards better than the few Franco pieces I’ve seen. But there’s lots of different types of poets and poems in the world.”

You found your strongest defender in a poet, editor and teacher at a major university in the Midwest. She wrote:

I actually think this poem is TERRIFIC. I guess there’s something wrong with me. It has a great punchy energy, it’s strange, and I never know where it’s going next. I would put stars all over this poem if it were turned in in my class… Also the language isn’t boring – kismetly and ubiquitously have a nice feel to them. I think this is pretty great.

So you see, there are a lot of qualities to your poem that really come out when you think about them. I’ve come around to liking your strange adverbs, and love it when people invent words. (The great Russian poet Mayakovsky once wrote that the creation of a neologism is a revolutionary act.)

My advice would be – if you really want to do something with poetry – is stay away from that terrible tendency in Hollywood (not just among actors writing, but mostly) to litter your poems with decadent sex and booze stories – Charles Bukowski is

Erica Cohen @ 7:32 pm on 02/13/2014
An interpretation @ 7:38 pm on 02/13/2014

Line-by-line Breakdown of Kirsten Stewart’s My Heart is a Wiffle Ball/Freedom Pole
12 Wednesday Feb 2014
Posted by Joey Jones in Poetry ? Leave a Comment
Tagsclose reading, Freedom Pole, Kirsten Stewart, My Heart is a Wiffle Ball, Poetry
These are some notes towards an interpretation of My Heart is a Wiffle Ball/Freedom Pole by Kirsten Stewart. At first it seems quite oblique, but I think cumulatively the poem is about how she is isolated with and alienated from the person she loves: she looks for signs of affection, knowing she can’t hold on to them: they pore out her porous heart, and yet she is drunk on these tiny morsels. This is what it is to love the man who says he is a rock, an island.

//My Heart is a Wiffle Ball/Freedom Pole//
Wiffle balls are light and perforated. This image of the pierced heart that cannot hold its blood (feelings?) is the key to this poem. The freedom pole is the cohering image for the second part of the poem, and represents isolation-as-freedom.

//I reared digital moonlight//
She cultivated a habit of staying inside, at night or in day with curtains drawn, in the glare of a screen. More figuratively, she has isolated herself, but superficially she is in company. On the internet we are all together, alone.

//You read its clock, scrawled neon across that black//
Following the image, ‘You’ read the clock on the laptop, it was obvious what time it was. To the recipient of the poem it was clear what she was like.

//Kismetly … ubiquitously crest fallen//
She (or is it ‘you’? does this modify the previous or the next line?) felt disappointed, but more than that, that her disappointment permeated everything and was inevitable. In second reading, it’s obvious now that the initial sentence that emerged in her mind was ‘kismetly crest fallen’, which is perhaps too alliterative for the sentiment. The jarring ‘ubiquitously’ breaks this up, the dissonance of structure reinforcing the mood of the line.

//Thrown down to strafe your foothills//
This is a nice extended metaphor: she has fallen off the crest, and is side-stepping in the foothill below ‘your’ great heights.

//…I’ll suck the bones pretty.//
She’ll try to make the most out of the poor situation but she know’s its impossible. You literally can’t suck bones pretty.

//Your nature perforated the abrasive organ pumps//
The discrete pumpings of an organ (the heart) are abrasive and perforated: it hurts for her heart to beat and each beat is made weaker/futile by your presence.

//Spray painted everything known to man,//
The blood sprays out the perforated heart, coating everything. This is spray which has painted, not a spray-painting. Stewart again re-enlivens a dead metaphor.

//Stream rushed through and all out into
Something /
Her life-blood (cleverly never directly alluded to but implied by the unifying heart metaphor), pumps into the wiffle ball heart and streams out into a known unknown.

/Whilst the crackling stare down sun snuck
Through our windows boarded up//
So, the light outside starts to break in and disturb the self-imposed darkness. (This being stuck inside thing is the second unifying metaphor)

//He hit your flint face and it sparked.//
So, the ‘sun’ was a metaphor for another man, who starts to impose on this unhealthy relationship. He strikes the ‘you’ sparking (great imagery here) something…

//And I bellowed and you parked//
She’s perturbed by the fighting (which might or might not be figurative) and ‘you’ held your ground.

//We reached Marfa.//
A town in Texas, in the middle of a desert. While this town was probably chosen because she was writing this poem during a road trip, the town itself is another metaphor for the freedom pole.

//One honest day up on this freedom pole//
Calls to mind the Simeon stylites on their poles in the desert. Freedom as isolation. Marfa in the desert, together alone.

//Devils not done digging
He’s speaking in tongues all along the pan handle//
Despite (or because of) isolating themselves further, their relationship continues to be racked with misunderstandings.

//And this pining erosion is getting dust in
My eyes//
This erosion of their relationship is painful but also makes it harder for her to see the situation clearly.

//And I’m drunk on your morsels//
But she’s still in thrall to him: drunk on even the tiny morsels of attention/love/??? that he gives her or that she reads into what he says.

//And so I look down the line//
And so she doesn’t seek an alternative to this life she’s found herself in

//Your every twitch hand drum salute
Salutes mine …//
She looks to his tiny movements for a sign of affirmation” re blogged from GC

THE TRUTH @ 7:51 pm on 02/13/2014

So, technically speaking, this means she can’t do s*it.

An interpretation @ 8:24 pm on 02/13/2014

@THE TRUTH:

No you are wrong- real poets loved her poem !

Nick @ 9:34 pm on 02/13/2014

Ok actress, terrible poet.

Revanist @ 12:52 am on 02/14/2014

It’s strange. I don’t think I really grasped it the first time through, it felt mostly liked mismatched words and looked up adjectives, but the more I read it, the more I really feel I kinda get it. Not quite Shakespeare or anything, but I like it. The more I find out about her personality, and the more roles I see her in, the more I like her. Kind of awkward like me. I especially like her more serious roles like into the wild and fierce people, but she brings a unique spin to roles like adventure land as well. I even, much to my social dismay, quite enjoyed the twilight series. Still don’t like vamps sparkling though.

K @ 1:54 am on 02/14/2014

@Erica Cohen: i highly doubt she cares about your stupid opinion.

Dad's lil angel @ 3:19 am on 02/14/2014

Ok.
Im not a teacher or poet but I love Kristen.
@ Haters

Some ppl are saying that dis is a terrible poem nd u knw nothing nd bla bla bla.

Temme something Haters.
When you were 23 , u might have written so many poems , done movies and living of your own like Kristen ryt ?

If yes den u may comment freely.

U knw wt.
If u cnt love someone den dnt hate dat person too.

You ppl r just Jealous and nothing else.
Whatever Kristen will do , you vl just hate it.

First try to be at Kristen’s place and den speak sh*t.

# Just love you Kristen.
Im glad you dnt pay attention to dese kind of haters.
God bless you !

lol @ 4:31 am on 02/14/2014

It’s terrible that people who know NOTHING about poetry are acting all smart and hating on kristen behind their computer screens. It’s not that bad, and she didn’t go to a high school for god sakes. leave that girl alone. I thought her work was pretty good. GOOD JOB KRISTEN!!! <3

pat @ 8:34 am on 02/14/2014

I luv kristen steawrt, so everyday I wonna no sometin about her, some ppl re jelouse of her dat dey turn 2 hite her,plse don’t hate her, if u don’t luv her, just leave her alone, n try 2 luv ureself, cos hating someone wil nt make u happy, n dn’t read abt her.

SMR @ 11:55 am on 02/14/2014

“…one poet believes Stewart’s work shows some promise, and above all
bravery.”

Jay @ 3:42 pm on 02/14/2014

She gained weight. Plain jane never cared for her much. NEXT…

YVETTE @ 11:48 pm on 02/14/2014

Do you actually know about poetry? No? Then why are you even talking about how “bad” this poem is? >.<

blue skies @ 3:45 am on 02/15/2014

This chick is nothing but trash. Not only is she trash but she is also very very ugly, yuk.