What Just Happened on 'The Vampire Diaries' - Season Finale Recap!

What Just Happened on 'The Vampire Diaries' - Season Finale Recap!

SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!!

OMG… Did all of that really just happen on the season finale of The Vampire Diaries this evening?! We’re still trying to process everything that went on!

If you forgot what happened on the show last week, it appeared that Paul Wesley‘s character Stefan was killed off the show for good after his heart was ripped out of his chest. But as we know, it is rare for anyone to stay dead forever on the show.

During this week’s season five finale, there were some major developments for Ian, Kat and Matt Davis‘ characters.

Click inside to find out what happened on the season finale episode…

Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Bonnie (Kat Graham) are officially dead! And we mean, dead dead. After Damon learned of Stefan’s (Wesley) death, he was on a mission to bring his one and only brother back from the deteriorating Other Side.

So he crafted a plan to blow up the Travelers in Mystic Falls, complete with him as the one who lights the match. He enlisted from the only humans he knows – Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) and Matt (Zach Roerig). Obviously, Elena (Nina Dobrev) was not OK with this suicide mission, so she went along, much to his chagrin. Damon and Elena died – seemingly as humans, long story – in the blast.

Meanwhile, Caroline (Candice Accola) killed Luke in order to get Liv to do the spell to bring back Stefan, Elena, Damon, and Tyler (Michael Trevino), who also died, at the hand of Markos and the Travelers’ spell around Mystic Falls. Everything seemed to be going well as Stefan, Tyler, Alaric (Matt Davis) – yes, Alaric! – and Markos (Michael Malarkey) passed back through Bonnie. Tyler realized he was no longer a hybrid, but a human! Does that mean everyone else is? Or just those who died as humans? We don’t know yet!

Anyway, Elena impatiently waited for Damon to pass back over, but he was too late. Lexi (Arielle Kebbel) – yes, Lexi! – risked her own chance at life to hold out for Damon, but Liv cut the spell off too soon. Damon was stuck on the Other Side for good. And it was getting bad over there.

In the final few scenes, we saw Elena break down in tears over her lost love, begging him to come back. Bonnie told her to say goodbye to Damon, and he told her she was the best thing to ever happen to him. Even though she couldn’t hear him. In the interim, Bonnie made a call to Jeremy and broke the news about her own fate. She never had a chance to survive as the anchor.

In the end, Damon and Bonnie held hands as the wind picked up and they went into the light, literally.

WHAT DID YOU THINK of tonight’s Vampire Diaries?

Photos: The CW
Posted to: The Vampire Diaries

applepe87 @ 10:06 pm on 05/15/2014

WTF.. is damon dead?? Isn’t Ian comming back? WTF NO NO NO NO NO.. I WILL NOT WATCH TVD IF DAMON IS NOT IN IT….. NOOOOOOOO IM SO SAD RIGHT NOW POOR ELENA

Tori @ 10:52 pm on 05/15/2014

I think you meant Enzo (not markos). Ariel Kebbel’s character kicked Markos into the “black hole” so he is forever gone.

Beck @ 10:57 pm on 05/15/2014

I won’t watch the show without Ian aka Damon in it. His character is what keeps it fun. Sucks. I followed this show for years!

Vanessa @ 11:32 pm on 05/15/2014

Finally!!! I’m tired of Delena. They have gotten so predictable it no longer interesting.

jAYJ @ 11:33 pm on 05/15/2014

Ian is taking a break from TVD. I think he will come back sometime next season (maybe mid season finale or something) and Bonnie’s not dead…. Her grandmother did something to make sure she survived which is why she wouldn’t go back to the living.

Brandon Laverdure @ 11:37 pm on 05/15/2014

I have a good feeling that they both will come back there is no way that they just kill of Damon. I can see maybe Tyler or Caroline but not Damen, Stephon , or Elana . I can’t wait for season 6

Maryam Saillan @ 12:16 am on 05/16/2014

Boy oh boy what an unexpected finale but the greatest finale not necessarily the best way to end a season. I hated the ending why why why did Damon and Bonnie had to die????
Don’t get me wrong I love that Stefan is back and alive but what’s the use if he can’t help the one person he loves and care for unconditionally. His brother. It was the most emotional and heart-breaking episode in the history of The Vampire Diaries. There MUST be a way for them to come back. I don’t know how but they will COME BACK NEXT SEASON.
Don’t know whether to love or hate Julie Plec, though one thing is for sure if she is not bringing back Damon and Bonnie she lost one viewer :(
Great work done on the final episode. By far the greatest show in the The CW Network.
I seriously can;t wait to know what will happen next, how will they cope, how will they bring them back??

Yvonne @ 2:00 am on 05/16/2014

@jAYJ:
Yes, I agree. There was that part with Grams. Should be interesting how the while death thing will work out now. Maybe the witches on the other side established a new “other” side that would take over after the first one imploded and Grams is the new anchor? So Bonnie and Damon just went through the implosion and will either land in the next other side or be kicked out all together and because Damon and Bonnie were holding hands her “resurrection” will bring him through as well? I just cannot imagine TVD without Damon. I thought the Tyler character would have been killed off before Damon’s.

Siohbian @ 2:39 am on 05/16/2014

Does anyone else think it was kind of selfish of Elena to die? Just meant extra pain for Bonnie… Only one person was needed to kill the Travellers to be honest.

JULIA @ 3:27 am on 05/16/2014

STELENA FOREVER!!!!!!

Melissa g @ 4:08 am on 05/16/2014

Please bring both Damon and Bonnie back. Please. I don’t know wat else to say except it will not b the same. Rating will go down. I’m begging tvd to bring them back

Iya @ 11:59 am on 05/16/2014

Damon is not dead. It may seem as though he is dead but really I’m telling you he is not. His character is way too important to be killed off when there is still another whole season ahead. Damons character may die at the end of the whole tvd series but it’s not yet. Damons character is essential in the whole love triangle between him elena and Stefan. So everyone worrying, don’t be. I mean look at Alaric he’s back :) YAY and so is Enzo and so is Stefan :D!!!!!!! So there’s hope for Damon! But as far as Bonnie is concerned she may be dead.. But then again she has her grams and anything could happen !! But omg ALARIC is back :))))

Jashan @ 1:21 pm on 05/16/2014

omgg….please please please dont die damon..
there is tvd without ian…
come on…
i want him back in the 1st episode itself..f next season

Jamie @ 10:27 pm on 05/16/2014

@Siohbian: This came to me as they were passing through her, I suddenly noticed that Elena WAS selfish to make Bonnie have to suffer extra pain but in the end Bonnie didn’t suffer anymore than she would have as Damon obviously didn’t pass through her. By being selfish it’s Elena’s fault that Damon didn’t make it as he should have been the one passing through Bonnie instead of her.

jay @ 11:34 am on 05/17/2014

@Siohbian: Definitely selfish of her.