Jared Padalecki & Jensen Ackles Tease 'Supernatural' Finale Shocker, Future of the Show

After nearly ten years on the air, Supernatural is still one of JJJ‘s favorite shows, and for good reason!

Season after season, the Winchester brothers take us along on these crazy supernatural adventures that continue to shock, torment, and suck us in every time. (Not to mention, make us swoon in the process.)

We recently caught up with stars Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, and Misha Collins about the can’t-miss season finale and how they’ve grown up together over the last decade. They also discuss the future of the show! Supernatural season 35? Bring. It. On.

“Something happens in the finale that is a first we’ll see,” Jared told us. “I’d say don’t miss the last 30 seconds of the finale.”

Misha said, “I can say that the fans are going to freak out. I think it’s very chilling and disturbing. When I read the script for the finale, I was definitely shocked. I thought, ‘Can they do this?’ The last five seconds!”

“I’m going to one up [Jared and Misha] and say its the last second,” Jensen told JJJ. “The moment the screen goes to black. The last second. There are multiple characters involved. There’s a predicament now.”

He continued, “I have no idea. After 195 episodes, there’s not a whole lot that really shocks me anymore. I’ll read and there will be a cliffhanger, and I’ll be like, ‘Oh, nice. That’s good. OK,cool.’ I’ll give you this, I read this one and I was five pages to the end and I was like, ‘Really? OK,’ which is about my reaction normally. And then I get to the every last page and I’m like [insert shocked face], ‘Oh, man.’ Jeremy Carver did a very good job. He outdid himself writing this episode.”

The Supernatural season nine finale airs TONIGHT, May 20 @ 9PM on The CW!

Click inside to see what else the guys had to say about the show…

After nearly a decade on the show, the actors have grown up alongside their TV counterparts.

“I’d say Jared and Jensen have aged more than Sam and Dean,” Jared told us. “They’ve obviously been through a lot more. Jared and Jensen have both gotten married and become fathers, which is very neat and exciting. Definitely a life change. We grew up with the show. I was 22 when it started and now I’m 31 with two kids. Jensen was 25 and now he’s 35 with a kid. So we grew up with these characters, helped them grow up, and vice versa.”

Jensen shared a similar sentiment, but with a twist. “I think Dean has evolved more, but Jared has evolved more. I think between Sam and Dean, and Jared and Jensen, Jared has grown up the most. He was 22 when he started the show. I was young, but he was a baby. Now he’s in his 30s, he’s got two children, he’s married, he’s just a different person. It’s been cool to be a part of that and sit and watch him become a man. I like to think I helped him along the way with advice and stuff, but I’m very proud of the man he’s become.”

He added, “That being said, the characters have been a part of that as well. I think Dean still comes from the same place, but has been through so much that he’s of a different mindset. Sam, on the other hand, is coming from a different place. In the beginning, he was like, ‘I don’t want to do this. This isn’t my life. Get me off this boat. I don’t want it.’ Now he’s like, ‘This is what I do. Eye on the prize, this is what we’re doing, let’s get it done.’”

So how long will the Winchester brothers stick around? “Earlier someone asked me if season 10 was it and my only answer was, ‘I hope not. But if it is, it’s something to be proud of, and it it’s not, we’ll carry on,’” Jared said. “I feel like season eight and nine, specifically, we caught a second wind. We had new storylines and new characters who brought such life to it. As a fan of the show, I’ve been excited an uptick in the quality of the show. They’re creating new and fun things, and if they keep doing that, we’ll see.”

Misha agreed, “It’s doing amazingly well and it doesn’t seem to be going away, and I think that there is something to us…what I’m seeing anecdotally is a second generation. It’s like 15, 16-year-olds who are coming up to me saying, ‘I love Supernatural.’ Ten years ago, they were five and six. If they have been watching the show for the last 10 years, they’re probably psychologically damaged. But yeah, they were too young when we started and now they’re catching up on Netflix. There’s a new generation, which is kind of awesome.”

TELL JJJ: Do you want Supernatural to continue a few more seasons?

Spn-int supernatural jared padalecki jensen ackles finale interview 01
Spn-int supernatural jared padalecki jensen ackles finale interview 13
Spn-int supernatural jared padalecki jensen ackles finale interview 14
Spn-int supernatural jared padalecki jensen ackles finale interview 15
Spn-int supernatural jared padalecki jensen ackles finale interview 16
Spn-int supernatural jared padalecki jensen ackles finale interview 17

devilish @ 2:14 pm on 05/20/2014

Supernatural is my all time favorite show. Jensen, Jared & Misha are all amazing actors.

JENNA @ 2:35 pm on 05/20/2014

While the actors are good, the storyline sucks. The writers seemed to have given up after season 4. Season 9 is by far the worst with inconsistencies that simply don’t make sense. It’s tragic that they screwed this once hit series.

Marius @ 3:25 pm on 05/20/2014

Completely agree with Jared; seasons 8 and 9 were a big improvement over 6 and 7 in particular, and Jeremy Carver has been showrunner, so what does that tell you.

Absolutely love Charlie and Benny and having Castiel as a regular character, so I can see his point there.

I came back to the show after ditching it in season 6, and I’m glad I did. Also, Jensen Ackles really kills it; not just a pretty face at all.

Sarah @ 4:24 pm on 05/20/2014

I love when Jared mentions in his interviews how much he grew up during supernatural and how much it changed his life ! I’m so happy for his gain in life and also proud of the man he became !

Kara @ 5:36 pm on 05/20/2014

I want the show to continue as long as it can!!

Sully @ 5:49 pm on 05/20/2014

I love that we as fans have watched Jensen and Jared grow up essentially. Not to mention Sam and Dean. Its been a wonderful ride and I agree with Jared if it finishes S10 that is something I can ticket off my bucket list already, ‘Watched an epic series on t.v. that was legendary from start to finish’.

The brotherly/family moments in this series beat alot of dramatic series that have 5 or 6 family members. Sam and Dean have been epic to watch. The J’s have chemistry to burn and I hope this finale portrays that in all its glory.

Plus having Jensen and Jared on the series and them being the best looking guys on t.v. hasn’t been hard either.

Diane @ 5:54 pm on 05/20/2014

Kind of hope it finishes S10. Series need an end thats strong not one that whimpers and suddenly you forget where it started. Although I don’t mind of course. Jensen and Jared are pretty easy on the eyes.

I liked S6 and S7. Supernatural ratings have always been consistent to the season. Its the lead ins and the day that determines the number. S8 and S9 has had a lot of WTH moments with canon and OOC storytelling and I think thats got to do with different writers and show runners.

As long as they keep focusing on the Winchester dynamic and why they are who they are together, I’ll tune in. But it has to be about the Winchesters. Other characters are great but I’ve always loved that they can introduce new characters to love and hate every season not the same old story. I hope the boys are allowed to evolve with other characters not just angels.

Alessis @ 6:56 pm on 05/20/2014

The show has changed a lot since the early seasons, which is natural, and if it continues on past season 10 it will definitely change a lot more. Possibly with other showrunners. If we’re honest, Supernatural wouldn’t have made it to season 10 without Castiel. He, as a character and because Misha Collins is such a unique person, revitalized the show and brought in new viewers who were pre-teens when the show started. So as long as they keep Cas/Misha around, they could conceivably keep going. I’ll keep watching.

Jax @ 3:56 am on 05/21/2014

itsajensenthing.tumblr.com said it best.

“One day, both Sam and Dean will be dead. The bunker will be empty and cold, the Impala will rust away in amongst weeds and rocks, the name “Winchester” will cease to exist, and the story of Sam and Dean Winchester will become a legend hunters will debate if myth or fact.

One day, both Sam and Dean will be at peace.”

And this, my friends, is NOT that day. I truly believe there is so much more to the Winchester Gospel that we as fans haven’t even begun to fathom.

Lluvia Ligera @ 5:25 am on 05/21/2014

They’re right, they aged. We all have, we’ve been watching them growing up as Sam&Dean and as Jared&Jensen. I love the fact that they see it that way too.

Jessica @ 6:16 pm on 05/22/2014

I have watched from the get go. I have to say that I found season 9 hard to watch. There were too many filler episodes, many choices were made to set up the now nonexistent spinoff and I felt there were times characters behaved out of character. Having said that, I feel that Carver did one thing right as the show runner…the end of the season finale. He is taking the show to a new place. That is exciting! While Dean is my favorite character, I am hoping that we’ll finally get some long lost screen time showing Sam’s point of view in season 10.

Layla @ 1:57 am on 05/24/2014

I have been watching Supernatural since it started and have always loved it. However, I feel like its been dieing these past few seasons and has become somewhat predictable. I think misha has been a great help in keeping the ratings and the storyline going. I did however go back and re-watch those terrible seasons and they were much more enjoyable. I hope season 9 is the same on that regard. All in all, I think next season should be much better and I am looking forward to a new storyline. I hope they let the ‘demon dean’ storyline run longer than the first episode and dont magically fix it like they seem to be doing in recent seasons. We shall see.

linda @ 1:59 am on 05/24/2014

I am 60 years old and I have loved tv all my life. I have had many favorite shows, but none have compared to surernatural. I believe it is the best show ever made and I have never loved any actors more than Jensen and Jared. I also love Misha and the rest of the cast. I would be happy if the show stayed on forever!

spiritblue @ 9:31 pm on 09/04/2014

i hope it goes to season 35 at least….love the show, Sam and Dean and Jared and Jensen…

Sylvia @ 10:15 pm on 09/07/2014

I am from Brasil and just started watching Supernatural about 3 months ago. I became so fanatic about it that I am finishing season 9 already. I do like Misha and Castiel and I agree that he brought something for the show, but for me is all about the brothers and their relationship. I love it!! As long as they keep together and have the heart to heart in the end of every episode, I am happy…and as much as I love Jensen and Dean (I am a Dean girl I admit), when Dean cries…OMG!!! He is so hot when he is crying…the show can keep going forever…I don’t mind at all…