Shailene Woodley Explains Her Views on Sisterhood Over Feminism

Shailene Woodley Explains Her Views on Sisterhood Over Feminism

Shailene Woodley opens up about feminism in this recent interview with Time.com.

The 22-year-old actress talks about her views on the topic and her ideals on how society should find a balance with men and women in power. Check it:

On whether she’s a feminist: “No because I love men, and I think the idea of ‘raise women to power, take the men away from the power’ is never going to work out because you need balance. With myself, I’m very in touch with my masculine side. And I’m 50 percent feminine and 50 percent masculine, same as I think a lot of us are. And I think that is important to note. And also I think that if men went down and women rose to power, that wouldn’t work either. We have to have a fine balance.”

On women vs. women: “My biggest thing is really sisterhood more than feminism. I don’t know how we as women expect men to respect us because we don’t even seem to respect each other. There’s so much jealousy, so much comparison and envy. And ‘This girl did this to me and that girl did that to me.’ And it’s just so silly and heartbreaking in a way.”

On feminism in pop culture: “It’s really neat to see: there’s that new Judd Apatow movie coming out, The Other Woman, and that looks really good because I think it’s really neat that it shows women coming together and supporting each other and creating a sisterhood of support for one another versus hating each other for something that somebody else created.”

Don’t forget – Shailene‘s new movie The Fault in Our Stars hits theaters on June 6!

Photos: Getty
Posted to: Shailene Woodley

V @ 11:57 am on 05/30/2014

Shailene doesn’t know a thing about feminism, masculine and feminine side doesn’t have anything to do with the feminism itself. Feminism is a belief that women are people, feminism itself is about EQUALITY, not Women overpowering men. The way she said ‘We have to have a fine balance’, she’s actually a feminist. Because feminism believe in equality of both gender. This girl need to educate herself for her own good

Ananya @ 12:18 pm on 05/30/2014

Every time she opens her mouth about feminism, a part of me dies inside.

Janne @ 12:28 pm on 05/30/2014

@V:
So many don’t realize this and it’s actually really sad. Not too long ago I also believed that feminism was about repressing men, and that belief came directly from my mother and others saying how feminism was solely about raising women to the power, not shaving, not wearing make-up and things like that, which obviously is not true. It may just be the lack of knowledge of what feminism is about, but it isn’t ignorance. There are people who are anti-men per se, and who truly believe that women are the only ones who should be in power, and these very people call themselves feminists, not understanding that what they believe in is the complete opposite of what feminism is. Thus, giving feminism a bad reputation.

Kayla @ 4:05 pm on 05/30/2014

We’re trying to push towards equality, not overthrowing manpower.

isaac @ 4:14 am on 05/31/2014

the misconception of feminism being about hating men was created by men who try to discredit the feminist movement by discrediting the leaders of the movement on its early stages by attempting to depict them ass someone who is trying to destroy society and families

sadly a lott of people still bellieve that crap and is sadder when is a woman who believes it

Kimiko @ 4:32 am on 05/31/2014

The “recent” interview with Time magazine wasn’t even recent. It has been over a month ago. And it’s sad. Because Shai is an empowered woman who thinks she understands feminism, but actually does not. But hey, maybe she has learned her lesson. Give the girl a chance. But, otherwise, I still like her and her views and opinions about all else. Not just feminism at the moment.

Laura007 @ 11:35 am on 05/31/2014

she doesn’t know anything about feminism!!!

she doesn’t even know what the F* she’s talking about… -.-”

No @ 5:50 pm on 05/31/2014

I’m going to be less polite and eloquent regarding this topic. She’s a moron.

Basically this young woman needs to educate herself. Feminism is not about, as other have said, women over powering men. It’s a moronic belief that people spout because that don’t want to be accused of hating men, therefore isolating a potential market of movie goers ie. a particular portion of men.

Please, educate yourself Ms Woodley. Your statements are incorrect and damaging.

lily @ 8:48 pm on 06/09/2014

So many people don’t know what feminism is or understand it at all. Feminism isn’t about “bring women to power, lower men”. And what does she even mean “to power”? Like a dictatorship?
I really like her and she’s a good actress but this quote is off and sends the wrong message to teen girls who idolize her, because young women should all support feminism when it’s the thing that has given us the right to vote and have a career outside the home. It is about balance, that’s the whole point.

DB @ 9:55 am on 06/13/2014

Maybe they need to ask her about people looking for all her imperfections so they can shoot her down?