Skylan Brooks stars in the new Netflix series, The Get Down, and JJJ has the low down on him!
The up and coming actor star as Ra-Ra on the new series, the level-headed voice of reason to the ragtag group of teenagers from the Bronx, all with dreams of fame and stardom at the birth of hip-hop. Ra-Ra tries and keeps the group together as he tries to be the intellectual therapist and brains behind the group of aspiring hip-hop superstars.
While hanging out with Skylan recently, we discovered 10 Fun Facts about him that you need to know. Check it:
- 1) I can say that I’m a pretty hardcore gamer on all consoles, including PS4 and Xbox One. I’ve competed in video game tournaments for Gears of War. My favorites games would have to be Destiny, Final Fantasy and the Kingdom Hearts series.
- 2) I am a skater, but I like to cruise more than doing tricks. Unfortunately I don’t have room for broken bones, so I stick to simpler things.
- 3) If I could call myself a professional sightseer, I would. I love traveling to places and enjoying new landscapes with others. Creating great memories together makes those experiences better.
- 4) I’m into Hip-Hop, Soul and Jazz music primarily, but I also listen to all kinds of music. I also produce and write my own music and lyrics. I capture the world around me through music, and create my world with those sounds.
- 5) I can say I’ve been raised around pitbull’s all my life. Growing up, we had two pitbulls, Pearl and Shye. I think pit bulls are funny because they make faces when they’re in trouble.
- 6) I draw and sketch in my spare time. I like to draw weapons and abstract art that would fit in video games. I also like drawing characters from Disney, Japanese Manga’s and Sonic the Hedgehog.
- 7) I have a fear of heights. I live in a four story building and hate to look over the edges of balconies. I hate walking on an elevated path when it’s windy because I feel like I’ll be blown away.
- 8) I really want to skydive, but my fear of heights makes that complicated.
- 9) I’m an Aquarius. I used to think that being an Aquarius meant I could swim, but I found out the hard way, that isn’t true.
- 10) I’m a very down to earth guy and I believe everything happens for a reason. I grew up in Christian churches. People tell me all the time that I have an old soul, but I don’t know what that means.
The Get Down is now streaming now on Netflix.