Michael Copon: I've Got 60 Pounds on Taylor Lautner

Michael Copon: I've Got 60 Pounds on Taylor Lautner

Looks like Michael Copon and Taylor Lautner will be duking it out for the role of Jacob Black!

Michael, 26, just spoke with J-14 to talk about nabbing himself the perfect part in New Moon, the upcoming sequel to Twilight.

On what he’s been doing to prepare: I feel like I need to bulk down. Right now I’m close to 200 pounds of muscle. Taylor’s [Lautner] probably what, 140, if he’s lucky? I’m already 200 pounds, so there’s no need for me to get any bigger. Plus he’s 5’6″ and I’m 6’2″. In the book, he grows eight inches and I’m exactly eight inches taller than Taylor. Huge difference.

On why he should get the role of Jacob Black: I have nothing against Taylor personally. I think he’s great and tremendous at what he does. But it’s just adjusting to the fact that Jacob has to grow. It’s a matter of going with the storyline. It goes with the territory. I see so much in Jacob Black that I feel like wasn’t brought to the first film that if I had the opportunity, I would totally create an amazing character.

On the books: I’ve read the first one and I’ve dabbled through the Cliffs Notes of the second and third ones. I haven’t had time to actually sit down and read the whole book, but I kind of know what happens.

Check out the rest of the Q&A with Michael @ J-14.com.

Photos: Dimitri Halkidis / WENN, Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Posted to: Michael Copon, Taylor Lautner, Twilight

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 712 »
just_me @ 3:52 pm on 12/19/2008

cocky much? I hope he doesn’t get the part…he doesn’t fit the jacob black mold at all…I mean really? and to top it off he can’t act…

if summit were smart they would realize that if they take this part away from Taylor they are going to lose ALOT of fans…and squander a potentially huge franchise for them…

omgfirst @ 3:56 pm on 12/19/2008

OMG FIRST !!!

Jordan @ 3:56 pm on 12/19/2008

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Jordan @ 3:57 pm on 12/19/2008

I WILL PROTEST IF THEY REPLACE TAYLOR! NO JOKE.

HE’S THE BEST JACOB BLACK EVER!!

NEVER NEVER NEVER! TEAM TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOSH.

ana @ 3:58 pm on 12/19/2008

I HATE MICHAEL COPON
I HATE MICHAEL COPON
I HATE MICHAEL COPON
I HATE MICHAEL COPON
I HATE MICHAEL COPON

MAYBE HE IS A GOOD GUY, BUT NO ON NEW MOON, TAYLOR LAUTNER IS WHAT NEW MOON NEEDS.E TAYLOR LAUTNER
I LOVE TAYLOR LAUTNER

I LOV

Brett @ 3:58 pm on 12/19/2008

What? wait.. WHAT? you’re kidding? c’mon… Who cares if Taylor doesn’t grow, he does look the part, the face I mean.. The other guy, what’s his name, looks like a typical man, but Jacob has to look werewolflike.. So please, this is riddiculus to even consider.

Jordan @ 3:58 pm on 12/19/2008

NEVER NEVER NEVER

TWILIGHTERS!!! COME AND PROTEST WITH ME!

mary @ 4:04 pm on 12/19/2008

wtf…
how could he possibly have aany chance of getting the role!?
he looks wayy older than kristen stewart.
DUH! jesus people.. use your brains, or eyes.

Ramiro @ 4:07 pm on 12/19/2008

hes so eww. Taylor is so much better then this person. who is he anyways?

Team Taylor

Emma @ 4:07 pm on 12/19/2008

Taylor FTW!!! Who is this Michael guy anyway??? Jeez… he’s talking as if he’s some big shot.. I’ve never even seen him before!

bb @ 4:07 pm on 12/19/2008

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

TAYLOR LAUTNER!!!!!!!

EWW…THE OTHER GUY LOOKS LIKE HE’S 30!! UGH.

JACOB BLACK IS TAYLOR LAUTNER!

edwardlover @ 4:09 pm on 12/19/2008

HELLLLL NOOOO!!
TAYLOR LAUTNER FOR JACOB BLACK ALL THE WAY <33

Stefanie @ 4:11 pm on 12/19/2008

ok they kind of look alike but I HATE WHEN THEY REPALCE ACTORS OR ACTRESSES I HATE THE CHARACTER OF JACOB BLACK AND i think taylor is perfect as jacob I LOVE HATING TAYLOR AS JACOB..LOL
i say noooooooooooooo keep taylor he is so cute

L @ 4:13 pm on 12/19/2008

I just watched Twilight today and it was packed in the cinemas. Afterwards, there were loads of people saying how Taylor was cute and they liked his role. Don’t even think about replacing him! I hate Michael Copon. Ever since he was on OTH and in Bring It On 4 (dude can’t act).

criss @ 4:14 pm on 12/19/2008

hey you cant even think about it! TAYLOR LAUTNER IS PERFECT

and its true who cares if taylor doesn’t grow! i will protest too because we ( the fans ) love taylor lautner as jacob black
WE DONT EVEN LIKE MICHAEL COPON AS JACOB BLACK!!

on twilight, the movie is not exactly like the book, but the fans love the book and the movie, and is going to be the same with new moon, we will love the book and the movie, even if the movie is not exactly like the book!

michelle @ 4:17 pm on 12/19/2008

I am a HUGE fan of Michael’s but he is so cocky!

L @ 4:18 pm on 12/19/2008

By the way, Michael is like 26 right, yet Taylor is only 16/17 so it’s not surprising that he weighs like 60 pounds more than him. Don’t make out you’re so much better than him. You’re almost over a decade older than the guy. What do you expect? And compare the two pictures – you’ve got an adorable sweet guy (Taylor) and some butt-ugly-thinks-he’s-all-that-26-years-old-and-totally-not-at-all-awesome dude.

Laura @ 4:18 pm on 12/19/2008

He hasnt even READ the book version of hte movie he’s going to be in. Claims he deserves it just cuz he has muscle. Meanwhile Taylor really relates to the role and obviously wants it.

Michael does NOT deserve this… Taylor Lautner DOES.

Keep Taylor as Jacob Black summit. People are going to be MAD if you give Taylor’s role away to someone as undeserving as Copon

ashley @ 4:20 pm on 12/19/2008

Hell No!!!
What a cocky person. I don’t care how much bigger or taller he is. He can not act. That to me is the bottom line. I hated him when he was on One tree Hill and then he did that horrendous version of bring it on.

Plus he read the freaking CLIFF NOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pick up the book and read it! my goodness. is he that lazy. If you don’t have time to read the book for the part you want, get out of here. You are not worth it. This movie is full of wonderful, genuine actors who aren’t cocky in the least. The director is making a huge mistake if he picks him to be jacob. So many fans will be lost and summit won’t make their millions.

Mariia @ 4:21 pm on 12/19/2008

Wow, this Micheal Copon is conceited.
I will laugh so hard when he doesn’t get this part.
Taylor Lautner is more committed to this part, trying to bulk up.
Michael Copon is just bragging about how he is bigger than Taylor and how he’s got so much on Taylor, but I think that they should keep the same actors in this movie unless they decide not be in the film anymore.
If Taylor passed the cut for the first movie, he should be qualified enough for the second.
Even though he may not have all of the qualities described in the book, the movie doesn’t have to follow the exact concept of the book.
Taylor earned this part of Jacob Black and I think he deserved to keep it.
Team Taylor :D

criss @ 4:21 pm on 12/19/2008

hey! you cant even think about it!!
i will protest

because taylor is perfect. and WHO CARES IF HE DOESN’T GROW????

michael copon thinks that he is perfect for the character, but NO! i hate him! taylor lautner is better than michael copon!

kessiahhh @ 4:23 pm on 12/19/2008

TEAM TAYLOR!!!

and yeahh, that guy is pretty cocky
and no one knows him so why should he even bother to try.
we need to keep Taylor!
he’s known to be Jacob ever since or wayyy before the Twilight trailer even came out.
now since the first movie is out, people (fans) will recognize Taylor as Jacob.
sooo

TEAM TAYLOR!!!

and that michael guy is soooo not getting the role
and he is sooo not going to make out with kristen in the third movie

and that guy is a fake.
he read Twilight
but used cliff notes for the rest of the books?

LOSERRRRRR!!!!

at least Taylor actually READS the BOOKS not stupid cliff notes

ayen @ 4:25 pm on 12/19/2008

They can both take the roles. Michael’s right. In the book, Jacob does become bigger and taller. So, I can see Summit actually hiring them both. Jacob in the first half and Michael in the other.

Goodluck to them both.

Kristina @ 4:27 pm on 12/19/2008

It’s not fair for a 16 year old boy to be compared to a 26 year old man. Of course there will be a weight and height difference.

SandeeeRa @ 4:28 pm on 12/19/2008

i’m absoulutely for TAYLOR.
don’t like that michael, he just wants to get famous because twilight is such a hit.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 712 »