McKayla Maroney: Silver Medal on Vault at 2012 Olympics

McKayla Maroney: Silver Medal on Vault at 2012 Olympics

McKayla Maroney shows off her silver medal during the Artistic Gymnastics Women’s Vault final on Day 9 of the London 2012 Olympic Games held at North Greenwich Arena on Sunday (August 5) in London.

The 16-year-old gymnast took a tumble on her landing, but still came out with no regrets.

The gold medal went to Romania’s Sandra Raluca Izbasa and bronze was won by Russia’s Maria Paseka.

“Disappointed on how today turned out, but everything happens for a reason!! #noregrets.. Plus, the silver medal is actually pretty sick!!” McKayla tweeted.

Congrats, McKayla!

Mckayla-silver mckayla maroney silver vault olympics 18
Mckayla-silver mckayla maroney silver vault olympics 19
Mckayla-silver mckayla maroney silver vault olympics 20

Credit: Ezra Shaw, Quinn Rooney, Ronald Martinez; Photos: Getty
Posted to: 2012 Olympics, McKayla Maroney

s @ 11:11 am on 08/06/2012

I love her! Silver or gold… or neither, she still gives it her all.

Will @ 11:39 am on 08/06/2012

Who are you kidding? “Came out with no regrets??”. Take one look at her pouting on the podium, virtually hiding her medal. And she tweets that her medal is “pretty sick”? She landed on her ass! OF COURSE she regrets that!

rs @ 12:46 pm on 08/06/2012

She’s still the best at what she does

Sue @ 1:07 pm on 08/06/2012

I have never been ashamed of an American athlete at the Olympics before today. Can anyone say spoiled and spoil sport. She wouldn’t even congradulate the winner. The winner had to come to her and got so little response. I am not sure she deserve to metal at all.

Gerry Pong @ 1:29 pm on 08/06/2012

She looks like she could star in “Cruel Intentions!” If looks could kill…

Ed @ 2:08 pm on 08/06/2012

As an adult with experience in how life can be, I have to believe… when you’re 16, and you’ve worked so, so hard… and you’ve done it right, without taking a shortcut… well, the lesson she’s someday realizing is that “it’s the journey, not so much the destination, that’s important.” So proud of her!

ed in huntsville, al @ 3:51 pm on 08/06/2012

I totally get that McKayla Maroney was seriously bummed when defeated. I even get that she was probably shattered, but what I don’t get was her snub attitude towards the other Olympians. Was I the only person who watched as she stood there and watched as other Olympians approach Sandra Raluca Izbasa to congratulate her. Sandra eventually stepped to McKayla. McKayla coldly congratulated the winner and if that wasn’t enough she blew off Maria Paseka, the Russian Bronze medalist. Where does Miss Maroney get off acting like, I mean that was unsportsmanlike at it’s finest. I was actually offended that one of the finest athletes in our country had no more social grace than spoiled 2 year old. The whole thing comes off like a snobby cheesey veneer. If McKayla doesn’t win gold, then McKayla acts like a complete jerk. Grow up McKayla, and learn to lose with grace and dignity. Losing sucks sure, but being a snot-ball loser certainly doesn’t garner anything but negative attention!

jingle @ 9:04 am on 08/07/2012

she is pretty, who is she anyway?

Meli @ 2:01 pm on 08/07/2012

que bueno que halla ganado una medalla es muy buena en la gimnacia

Alexis @ 3:06 pm on 08/07/2012

McKayla’s fall was something that none of us were expecting. If it shocked us that much, think of how much it shocked her… I don’t blame her for the way she acted during the medal ceremony. Could she of acted a little better? Of course. But when she was expected to rock the vault like she did before and didn’t, I’m sure she was displeased with herself. I agree; gold, silver, or no medal at all, McKayla is still the best vaulter in the world to me!

qwerty @ 8:44 pm on 08/07/2012

@Alexis – you sound like her mother.

Nebiros @ 5:56 am on 08/15/2012

@ed in huntsville, al:

She is 16, bare with her. She has been giving it all to win and then fall just on the finishline…what would you expect?
Besides…read her tweets…
“Sportsmanship is so important to me and I hope you know i would never do that intentionally!! Please forgive me!!
Visa
Svara Retweeta Favoritmarkera
aug 6 McKayla Maroney ?@McKaylaMaroney
I wasn’t thinking straight and I totally forgot what to do, but don’t worry.. I gave them both hugs after!! <3
Visa
Svara Retweeta Favoritmarkera
aug 6 McKayla Maroney ?@McKaylaMaroney
For anyone who thought I didn't want to hug Maria and Sandra that's not the case(: They are my friends, and I'm proud of them both!
Visa