The 24-year-old 13 Reasons Why star opened up to the online glossy about working on the hit show. Check it:
On his character Ryan: “We both are unafraid to speak our minds. I will say, Ryan does this at the expense of other’s feelings, and that’s not my jam, however if I hear something offensive from someone, whether it be homophobic or racist or xenophobic, I’m not afraid to start a dialogue with that person. I think in High School I was similar to Ryan in that I was ‘brutally honest,’ but now I do my best to stay true to my own beliefs and express them without forcing them on others.”
On the funniest/craziest thing that happened on set: “My husband was visiting me while we were shooting the poetry club scene in Episode 8 and Brian put him in the show as an extra!”
On his next project: “Hopefully a second season of 13! I do have other projects in the works, but nothing I can speak about publicly.”
The 24-year-old entertainer was joined by her 13 Reasons Why cast members Alisha Boe and Tommy Dorfman as they spent the afternoon together getting matching semicolon tattoos in honor of their hit Netflix show!
After getting their tattoos, Tommy took to Instagram to share the very emotional reason behind why he got the tattoo and why 13 Reasons Why is so important to him.
“Today was a magical day. Another day to be grateful to be alive. Alisha, Selena, and I went together to get ; tattoos. The ; symbol stands for an end of one thought and a beginning of another. Instead of a period, authors use the semicolon to continue a sentence. For us, it means a beginning of another chapter in life, in lieu of ending your life. I struggled with addiction and depression issues through high school and early college. I reached out and asked for help. At the time, I thought my life was over, I thought I’d never live past the age of 21. Today I’m grateful to be alive, in this new chapter of life in recovery, standing with my colleagues and friends, making art that helps other people. If you’re struggling, if you feel suicidal, I urge you to click the link in my bio. Ask for help. Start a new chapter with the support of others,” Tommy captioned the below pic.
The 24-year-old executive producer of the show and two of the cast members, Alisha Boe and Tommy Dorfman, all got matching semi-colon tattoos!
Selena took to her Instagram Story page to share photos and videos from the tattoo session on Sunday (April 9).
“Wish the rest of the crew was with us today. Overwhelmed with the response and love @13reasonswhy is receiving. Thank you to each beautiful person who has watched and talked about the message of our show,” Selena captioned a photo of the three underneath a billboard for the show.
The semicolon is a symbol that many related to the struggle of depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide and their will to continue on.
Check out more photos of their tattoo session below…
Ever since we learned Selena Gomez was going to turn one of our favorite books, 13 Reasons Why, into a Netflix series, we have been counting down the days to its premiere.
And, now, it’s here. Today!
1. Actress and singer Selena Gomez is executive producing the Netflix series.
2. It features exceptional new talent, including Tommy Dorfman and Katherine Langford.
3. The series is about teen suicide, which is a taboo topic that hasn’t been covered much in the past, on television or in film, yet needs to be discussed.
4. Selena thought if she acted in the show, it would “distract” from the message, which shows how seriously she is taking the project.
5. One of the goals of the show is to bring awareness to a number of issues, from high school hierarchy to cruel rumors.
6. 13 Reasons Why stars Dylan Minnette, who we know and love from Goosebumps, Lost, and more.
7. It already has glowing reviews.
8. It’s based on the best-selling and moving young adult novel by Jay Asher.
9.The show strives to show the “ugliness” of high school, and refuses to romanticize the experience like many other shows.
10. Katherine is “captivating” as Hannah, the lead.
11. Riverdale‘s Ross Butler has a role in the series that breaks stereotypes.
12. Selena just dropped a new single for the soundtrack, which you can listen to here.
13. The project “hits home” for Selena, and grapples with depression, bullying, and more issues that she’s faced head-on.
13 Reasons Why debuts today on Netflix.
Not convinced yet? Click inside to listen to the powerful monologue from the girl who took her own life… More Here! »
He stars as Ryan in the upcoming Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, which is being executive produced by Selena Gomez and is available for streaming starting on March 31.
“I’m really excited for fans of the book to experience this beautiful adaptation and meet Ryan and the other characters who are briefly mentioned in the text as fully realized people dealing with the aftermath of their classmate’s suicide,” Tommy told JJJ.
Check out 10 fun facts Tommy shared with us:
1. My real name is Martin.
2. As a kid, I dreamed of being a backup dancer for TLC.
3. I eat ice cream every night.
4. I’ve fallen asleep at every opera I’ve been to.
5. On holidays, my dog gets more presents from me than my husband.
6. I don’t drink alcohol.
7. I’m a podcast person. All-time-favorite: Another Round with Heben and Tracy.
8. Regular gym exercise isn’t my thing, so for cardio I throw solo dance parties in my house.
9. I have four tattoos, one from when I was 15.
10. Since moving to New York six years ago, I’ve lived in 9 different apartments.